This is a copy of the online scams...Hate to admit it but Best Buy actually now fits into both classes...

I went to Best Buy...
You folks know the home of the Geek Squad...
These folks are supposed to be top notch when it comes to computers and repairs along with supplies.

This was the Huntington WV branch by the Mall...

I asked them to do two simple memory upgrades on two different HP computers, I simply wanted to go from 8 gig to 16 gig on a new computer I had just bought.
(Since I really couldn't figure out how to access it without a trap door).
On the other going from a 4 on board and 2 GIG additional to an 8 additional for a total of 12gig.
When I returned a few hours later and picked them up right at closing time...
Here is what I was told.

Total charges were right around 300 bucks including memory.

On the first one above going to 16 Gig, it was completed.

On the second one they reported "it couldn't take the 8 gig stick" it would only take a 4gig stick...They never even called me to ask me if that was ok. They just took it upon themselves to install the 4 gig.

Had I known how to open the case of the first one, and known what type of Ram to grab while dashing in to Best Buy to begin with I would have installed them all myself. Instead I had to TRUST them...Huge Mistake!!!

So I get home and I'm sitting there getting upset about the fact that I just bought the second computer on Ebay that was supposed to be able to handle an 8 gig stick with 12 gig total, since I was not too impressed with its speed to begin with. I did a bit of research online and discovered that it was rated for 12 and figured something is not adding up.

I opened it up and removed the 4 gig stick. ( I will come back to this one in a minute)
On the second computer I read the manual and went online to research the Ram, since I could see the computer recognized the RAM as 16 gig, but only showed 7.2 accessible or Useable...
To my surprise when I looked at the packaging I noticed it was DDR3 but, my computer called for DDR3L which the L stands for Low Voltage, they had installed the incorrect RAM into my computer, had it been the other way and they installed Low voltage instead of High they could have cooked the computer or memory modules.

So back to the store I went. I had removed the 4 gigs that I never asked them to install or was asked to install into the second computer and told them along with what I have mentioned that the new one I just had upgraded to 16 was making a terrible sound from the fan now also...
I informed the store manager that I had quite a few concerns about the computer department or Geek Squad to be precise.

I asked a Total refund with them removing the memory and setting everything back to normal.
They offered to correct the incorrect memory install and return the charges for installation, I agreed.

Now here is where it gets unethical for what happened by best Buy computer dept. When they attempted to locate the DZDR3L on the shelves it suddenly became obvious why they did what they did with the second computer (the one they said they could not get to accept the 8 gigs as manufacture reports it is designed for...They did not have any in stock, they did however have 4 gig sticks in stock. In fact they had an 8 gig in stock they had installed it into my other computer that called for the Low voltage Ram instead.

I also forgot to mention them trying to sell me dual channel which is what all the Rams are but trying to isist that if I used a Dual channel 4 gig it would be faster than an 8 gig stick, but I asked...How, since it also will be a dual channel...They guys were caught three different times doing things that I personally know better and when confronted thought I did not understand, as most people that use Geek Squad may not, and tried lying to me outright to cover what had occurred...

I was able to have all Ram removed from First computer that they could have fried, I had already removed the second computers Ram and had it back in their packaging and I received a full refund, so I wasted about four hours and go no where with these folks.

Now here we will add insult to injury...on top of that when I was checking out they asked for my email address, I informed them I did not want them selling or sending me anything, and they stated they needed this to track the purchase for replacements and warranties. I reluctantly gave in...

Then within a day I got a survey about my experience with Best Buy, well I had already wasted over 4 hours with these idiots, I did not feel as though I should have to waste any more so I deleted the email, then I started getting marketing e mails from them telling me about special deals and sales...I read down to the bottom as it is a Law they give you an Opt out option, just like I have on my site for you to unsubscribe...

I selected unsubscribe and a message appeared that it could take up to Ten days to opt you out.... this is hogwash they have settings that can make it instant I know this for a fact...soo they are forcing you to continue to receive them in hopes you will change your mind (only)...
Sadly enough I now started receiving two a day and then it kept increasing to now I am getting four a day every day...I also noted an e mail address ... privacymanager@bestbuy.com they tell you if your having problems to let them know...

They also send back auto responders that say allow them ten days to remove you from their system...
what a JOKE...I am so sick of Best Buy and their deception to make a sale, the under qualified Tech people at their location I dealt with and their E mail policy that I decided to post this on both of my web sites in disgust.

Now what I am doing is forwarding all of their junk email every time i get one from Best buy right back to them...

I also am including copies of these two post on both of my web sites warning others about them and their practices...

If you can avoid Best Buy think about everything I have explained and decide whether or not you want to go through what I have...at the least dont give them your email or trust them just because they say they are the Geek Squad...They are no more qualified than a computer repair store...

Have a Great Day.